Question Pooling allows you to select a specified number of questions from a major category such as a specific chapter/module. In some cases, you may be able to pool from a specific question type within a chapter/module (ex: Multiple Choice).
At this time, you cannot create your own pooling parameters.
Question PoolingWith Question Pooling, students will not receive the same set of questions. For example, if Chapter 4 includes 40 questions and you pool 5 questions from Chapter 4 on an assignment, each student will receive a random set of 5 questions from the 40 available in the chapter.
First, Create an Auto Graded Assignment
To begin, follow the steps to create an auto graded assignment (condensed below):
- From within the course, click Add an assignment or resource. Select Auto Graded Assignment.
- On the Settings screen, name the assignment, select a Template, then Continue to Timing.
- Set your Timing parameters. Save and Continue to Questions.
Then, Select Questions Using the Pooling Method
NOTE: Not all questions need to be pooled. You can also select individual questions as needed. Instruction for adding question Pools follows, beginning on the assignment's Questions screen.
- Select the desired Question Bank from the Question Bank filter (ex: Homework).
Filter to view needed chapter/module.
- Click on the category header from which you want to pool (ex: Chapter 04) and select Add a Random Question.
- Enter the number of random questions to be added to the assignment from that category (ex: 5 questions from Chapter 4).
Click Add random question. Each student will receive the selected number of randomly drawn questions from all available questions in the pool category.
- Repeat as needed.
Pooled questions are identified on the right-hand panel of the Questions screen by the Dice icon and include the category and Question Bank from which they were drawn (ex: Chapter 04 / Homework).
- Once all desired questions have been added to the assignment, Set Points and/or select the Shuffle option as applicable. Save & Exit.