Why use the Legacy Editor?
The Legacy Editor is helpful if you have a custom eBook using assignment content from more than one text or if your course includes any imported questions. All imported questions appear in the course's My Custom Questions question bank and may be more easily located using the Legacy Editor.
For a custom eBook/course using multiple titles, the assignment content form the text(s) using the fewest chapters will be the imported assignment content.
Use the process below to add RANDOM/Algorithmic versions of a question to an auto-graded assignment using the Legacy Editor.
- Data differs from text
- Data sets will differ among students
- Recommended for testing purposes
To add the Static (book version) or a specific Random/Algorithmic version, see Legacy Editor (Static questions).
STEP 1: Access the Legacy Editor
Create an assignment or access an existing one.
1. Select My Custom Questions from the Question Bank filter on the assignment's Questions tab.
2. Click Switch to legacy editor.
STEP 2: Add Algorithmic Version
1. Click Add. If there are existing questions, click Add at the bottom of the list.
- Select "a random question"
2. Click inside the Select a category box to reveal the dropdown menu.
3. Scroll to the needed category (ex: Test Bank), find the Chapter/Module, and locate the question. DO NOT CLICK.
4. Click Randoms (#) below the desired question number topic (not pictured). Question number will auto-fill.
5. Leave Number of random questions at the default of 1.
- The question will appear on the assignment one time.
- Students will receive varying data sets from one another for that question.
6. Click Add random question.
7. Repeat as needed using the bottom-most Add button.
8. When finished, click Save and Return to Course.