We highly recommend testing the assignment before distributing it to students.
The LockDown Browser will allow access to any links available in the assignment by default. This allows you to flexibly add any external online resources to the exam that you would like available. To maintain a secure environment, any links, search bars, or other forms of navigation in the new, locked tab will be disabled.
To allow students to use any and all resources, and navigation methods, inside the links provided, you’ll need to put the website’s domain into your assignment’s LockDown Browser settings. Example using one link:
www.website.com Example using multiple links:
External sources that do not require additional setup.
- Financial Calculator
- Web Article
- Excel File (URL going directly to the file)
- PDF Documents To avoid students saving and printing PDF documents, you’ll need to modify the document’s permissions.
External sources that do require additional setup.
From the Course page, use the following steps to allow external links to your assignment.
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the page. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Select Configure Respondus LockDown Browser to open a list of the assignments.
- If this is your first time, you will be taken to the About LockDown Browser page. Click Continue to LockDown Browser to go to the assignment settings.
- From this page, you will see a list of all of your assignments that you have in your course. In the right-hand column, it will indicate if you have set LockDown Browser to be required for each assignment.
- Select the icon next to the assignment, expanding a drop-down list.
- Select Settings. This will display the options available for that assignment.
- In Advanced Settings for the LockDown Browser settings for an assignment, enable the Allow access to specific external web domains option.
- Using the link, copy the domain. This portion will be up until the first slash (
/), not including
https://. Example 1: Link:
www.google.com.Example 2: Link:
- Using the copied domain, paste it into the Allow access to specific external web domains option of the LockDown Browser settings.
Now, any external resources and navigation methods in the link(s) provided to students inside the assignment, will now be available in your assignment.